“Dementia Live” is a high-impact dementia simulation experience, developed by AGE-ucate Training Institute, that engages participants into what it's like to live with dementia, resulting in a deeper understanding of what it's like to live with cognitive impairment and sensory change. Class participants put on items that simulate the loss of different functions, giving them an immersive experience that elevates quality of care, compassion and empathy as well as a deeper understanding of the challenges that one faces when living with dementia.
After the experience, there is a small group post discussion about what the experience felt like, how the caregiver must be the change agent as the person with dementia cannot change, and what can be done to improve communication and care processes, empowering caregivers with practical tools and techniques that will ultimately make them better caregivers.
· Understanding cultural aspects of care
· Managing stress
· Respecting differences
· Strengths- and solutions-focused practices
· Person-centered practices
· Understanding aging
· Understanding developmental disabilities
· Understanding physical disabilities
· Understanding dementia and Alzheimer’s
· Behaving professionally and ethically
· Communication skills
· Role of the direct care worker
Friday, Nov. 17, 9 a.m.-noon, each appointment requires about 30 minutes.